Chafariz do Carmo Lisbon

Chafariz do Carmo, Lisbon

The Chafariz do Carmo (Carmo Fountain) stands in Largo do Carmo, outside the ruined Convento do Carmo in Santa Maria Maior, central Lisbon.

The Chafariz do Carmo, Lisbon
Chafariz do Carmo

History

The fountain was built in 1771 to distribute water from the Águas Livres Aqueduct via an underground tunnel - the Galeria do Loreto.

Also in the square is the Palácio dos Condes de Valadares and the GNR Museum (Museu da Guarda Nacional Republicana).

During the 1974 Carnation Revolution, Marcello Caetano, who had succeeded Salazar as Prime Minister, sought refuge in the Carmo barracks. The building was surrounded by members of the Movimento das Forças Armadas (Armed Forces Movement or MFA) including Salgueiro Maia, who persuaded Caetano and his followers to surrender to General Spinola, the leader of the MFA.

Palácio dos Condes de Valadares
Palácio dos Condes de Valadares

The Palácio dos Condes de Valadares stands on the site where the first Portuguese university was founded during the reign of D. Dinis, before being transferred to Coimbra. Often used as a school, the building is presently vacant.

The square is one of the most pleasant in the city lined with jacaranda trees and pavement cafes ideal for a relaxing cup of coffee or glass of wine.

The Chafariz do Carmo dates from 1771.
The Chafariz do Carmo fountain dates from 1771

Access - Getting There

Visitors can reach the square on the Santa Justa Elevator, which connects Largo do Carmo to Baixa Pombalina, close to both Rossio Station and Restauradores Station.

The fountain is opposite the Convento do Carmo.
The fountain is opposite the Convento do Carmo

Lisbon Related

Sociedade de Geografia de Lisboa

Bairro Alto Map

© Portugal Visitor.com

Vintage Port

Vintage Port

Vintage port refers to port wine made from the grapes of a single, exceptional year. It then spends no more than two years or two and a half years in a barrel or stainless steel cask before being bottled. Wines age much more slowly in a bottle than a barrel. Vintage ports require between 10 to 40 years of aging in the bottle.

Late Bottled Vintage Port
Late Bottled Vintage Port

Vintage ports are often bottled with their grape lees and thus should usually be settled and decanted before drunk.

Single quinta vintage ports are vintage ports made from a single quinta rather than from several wine estates.

Vintage ports make up about 2-3% of the port market and vintages are only usually declared around 3 times a decade on average to guarantee their high price and standing. Vintage port years include 1945, 1963, 1975, 1977, 1980, 1994, 1997, 2000, 2003 and 2007.

The IVDP - Instituto dos Vinhos do Douro e Porto - is the final arbiter as to whether a wine can be declared vintage or not.

All the major wine lodges such as Broadbent, Cockburn, Croft, Dow, Gould Campbell, Graham, Osborne, Offley, Sandeman, Taylor, and Warre in Vila Nova de Gaia across the River Douro from Ribeira in Porto produce vintage port.

Late Bottled Vintages

Late Bottled Vintage Ports (LBVs) are produced from grapes from a single year. However, they spend more than 2 years in the barrel or cask, typically 4-6 years and are ready to drink once bottled, though continue to age in the bottle for a few more years.

Taylor's Port.
Taylor's Late Bottled vintage 2013

More on Port & Porto

Cemitério Prado do Repouso

Sandeman Cellars

Cálem Port Wine Lodge

Taylor's 300 year old cellars
Taylor's 300-year-old cellars © Taylor's

© PortugalVisitor.com

Monument to the Carnation Revolution Grândola

Monument to the Carnation Revolution, Grândola

The Monument to the Carnation Revolution (Memorial ao 25 de Abril) in the town of Grândola is dedicated to the song Grândola, Vila Morena by José Afonso aka Zeka (1929-1987), a leftist folk and fado singer in opposition to the Salazar regime.

The Monument to the Carnation Revolution (Memorial ao 25 de Abril).
The Monument to the Carnation Revolution (Memorial ao 25 de Abril) shows a large carnation in its centerpiece

The song was chosen as the second and definitive password, transmitted on the radio, for troops to march to Lisbon on April 25th, 1974. The broadcast of the popular song signaled the beginning of the Carnation Revolution which toppled the Novo Estado government in the capital and led to its overthrow in the rest of the country.

Monument to the Carnation Revolution, Grândola
The Monument to the Carnation Revolution in Grândola in the Alentejo is lined with traditional blue and white tiles with the lyrics of the song

Lyrics

Grândola, vila morena
Terra da fraternidade
O povo é quem mais ordena
Dentro de ti, ó cidade

Dentro de ti, ó cidade
O povo é quem mais ordena
Terra da fraternidade
Grândola, vila morena

Em cada esquina um amigo
Em cada rosto igualdade
Grândola, vila morena
Terra da fraternidade

Terra da fraternidade
Grândola, vila morena
Em cada rosto igualdade
O povo é quem mais ordena

À sombra duma azinheira
Que já não sabia sua idade
Jurei ter por companheira
Grândola a tua vontade

Grândola a tua vontade
Jurei ter por companheira
À sombra duma azinheira
Que já não sabia sua idade

Copyright:
Writer(s): Jose Alfonso
Lyrics by www.musixmatch.com

© PortugalVisitor.com

Taylor's Port

Taylor's Port

Taylor's is one of the oldest of the Port houses in Vila Nova de Gaia across the River Douro from Ribeira in Porto.

Taylor's Port.
Taylor's Late Bottled vintage 2013

History

Taylor's Port was founded in 1692 by Job Bearsley who came to Portugal from London and traded in Portugal red wine mainly from Viana do Castelo and Monção in the Minho region in the northwest of the country.

Job's eldest son, Peter, moved the focus of the company's wine trade to the wines of the Douro valley. In turn, Peter's son, Bartholomew, bought a property in the Douro at Lugar das Lages, near Régua.

The business was continued by an American, Joseph Camo, during the upheaval of the Peninsular War (1807-1814).

After Camo left the company, Joseph Taylor took over the running of the company that now bears his name. Later Morgan Yeatman and John Fladgate joined the company which became Taylor, Fladgate & Yeatman.

Frank Yeatman's management of the Quinta de Vargellas estate in the Douro helped the company grow in the early 20th century.

Now the company is one of the most famous names in the world of Port known for its late-bottled vintages, ruby, tawny, and white.

Tours

Taylor's wine lodge in Vila Nova de Gaia has audio-guided tours (available in 13 languages) and tastings. The tours last about an hour and are followed by tastings in the tastings room.

The tour includes information on the history of Port wine, the house of Taylor, and the Douro Valley. Private tours can also be arranged.

The recommended Barão Fladgate Restaurant is located within the grounds of the port cellar and serves both lunch and dinner.

Another treat is a stay in The Yeatman, a luxury, 5-star hotel owned by the company.

Taylor's 300 year old cellars
Taylor's 300-year-old cellars © Taylor's

Access - Getting There

Rua do Choupelo, nº 250
4400-088 Vila Nova de Gaia, Portugal
Tel. +351 223 772 973
taylor.pt

Hours

Daily from 11 am to 6 pm.

Porto buses 901 and 906 stop close to the cellars. Jardim do Morro or General Torres are the nearest Porto metro stations.

More on Porto

Cemitério Prado do Repouso

Sandeman Cellars

Cálem Port Wine Lodge

Vintage Port

© PortugalVisitor.com

Alvalade Metro Station Lisbon

Alvalade Metro Station, Lisbon

Alvalade Station
Entrance to Alvalade Station

Alvalade Metro Station is on the Green Line of the Lisbon metro network. It is located between Campo Grande and Roma stations under Avenida de Roma, at the intersection with Avenida da Igreja.

Alvalade Station opened in 1972. The station is now fully wheelchair-friendly with lifts to and from the platforms.

Tilework at the station
Tilework at the station

Buses

The busy station is also a stop for several Lisbon buses. These include the Lisbon buses 206 from Cais do Sodré to Senhor Roubado, the 735 from Cais do Sodré to Hospital Santa Maria, the 755 from Poço do Bispo to Sete Rios, and the 767 from Campo Mártires da Pátria to Reboleira Metro Station which all stop at the station. 

Campo Grande is an important bus station with buses to many destinations north of Lisbon including Mafra and Ericeira.

The interior of the station is bright and colorful.
The interior of the station is bright and colorful

Art Work

Like Martim Moniz on the same line, the station was designed by Denis Gomes with art installations by the painter Maria Keil (1914-2012). Renovations in 2006 had artwork by Bela Silva and in 2007 by the original artist, Maria Keil.

Nearby

If you wish to stay in this area of Lisbon there are several options. These include the 3-star Hotel Roma and the 4U Lisbon IV Guesthouse.

Also nearby is the Parque de Jogos 1º de Maio, a sports stadium with soccer and tennis schools.

Other Lisbon Stations

Baixa-Chiado

Belem Station

Campo Pequeno

Roma-Areeiro

Martim Moniz

Artwork at Alvalade Station
Artwork at Alvalade Station

Train at Alvalade Station
Train at the station

© PortugalVisitor.com

Martim Moniz Metro Station

Martim Moniz Metro Station

Martim Moniz Metro Station is on the Green Line of the Lisbon metro network. It is located on Rua Martim Moniz in Praça Martim Moniz at the foot of Lisbon Castle.

Martim Moniz Metro Station is on the Green Line of the Lisbon metro.
Martim Moniz Metro Station is on the Green Line

Trams & Buses

The busy station is also a stop for several Lisbon trams and buses. These include the trams 12E to Praça da Figueira and the 28E to Campo de Ourique. The following Lisbon buses also stop here - the 208 running between Cais do Sodré and Estação Oriente, the 708 to Parque das Nações Norte, the 734 to Santa Apolónia Station, and the 760 connecting Gomes Freire and the Cemitério da Ajuda as well as AeroBus#1 from Cais do Sodre to Lisbon Airport.

Martim Moniz Station, Lisbon.
Artwork at Martim Moniz Station by the artist Maria Keil, Lisbon

Art Work

According to legend, Martim Moniz was the brave Portuguese knight who wedged his dying body in a gate during the siege of Lisbon Castle in 1147. This sacrifice thus prevented the Muslim defenders from closing the door and allowing the Christian attackers led by Afonso Henriques and backed by a force of English and German Crusaders to take the castle. The station was designed by Denis Gomes with art installations by the painter Maria Keil (1914-2012) showing Moniz's last act and other figures and events from the siege.

Nearby

If you wish to stay in this area of Lisbon there are several options. These include the 4-star Hotel Mundial and the upmarket Torel Palace Lisbon. Portugal Boutique Hotel is another 4-star property.

Also nearby is the large Centro Hospitalar Universitário de Lisboa Central - Hospital de São José and Praça dos Restauradores.

Martim Moniz Metro Station.
Martim Moniz Metro Station

Other Lisbon Stations

Alvalade Station

Baixa-Chiado

Belem Station

Campo Pequeno

Roma-Areeiro

© PortugalVisitor.com

Viseu Town Hall

Câmara Municipal de Viseu (Viseu Town Hall)

The Câmara Municipal de Viseu in Viseu is a pleasant building located just outside the historic center of the city.

Viseu Town Hall
Viseu Town Hall

Architecture

The two-story, rectangular building stands in Praça da República. The facade is decorated with pilasters and the interior is ornate. The decoration includes a tiled staircase, a painted ceiling and wrought iron chandelier.

On the second floor of the facade are three French windows with fine views over Praça da República.

The building as a whole dates from the late 19th century. Restoration work took place in the 1990s.

Viseu Town Hall
Câmara Municipal de Viseu

Access - Getting There

Câmara Municipal de Viseu
Praça da República
3514-501 Viseu
Tel: 232 427 427

The town hall is just a short walk to the cathedral in Viseu and the city's other main sites.

Câmara Municipal de Viseu
Câmara Municipal de Viseu

Accommodation in Viseu

Both the Casa da Sé and the Hotel Avenida are recommended lodgings in the city. The Hotel Avenida is virtually next door to the town hall. To eat, try O Hilário.

The building as a whole dates from the late 19th century.
The building dates from the late 19th century

© PortugalVisitor.com

Vila Franca de Xira Station

Vila Franca de Xira Station

Vila Franca de Xira Station is on the Linha da Azambuja from Santa Apolónia Station and Oriente in Lisbon to Azambuja.

Vila Franca de Xira Station (Estação Ferroviária de Vila Franca de Xira)
Estação Ferroviária de Vila Franca de Xira

The station serves the town of Vila Franca de Xira on the River Tagus, a town known for the breeding of bulls and horses for bullfighting.

Journey time from Lisbon by train is about 40 minutes. The preceding station towards Lisbon is Alhandra and the following station is Castanheira do Ribatejo.

Outside the station is a statue of a bullfighter. The station building on the platform side also has some striking azulejos tiles dating from 1930, when the present station was built.

Buses and taxis stop outside the station.

Vila Franca de Xira has a few places to stay though most overseas visitors make it a day trip from the capital.

Some recommendations are the Leziria Parque Hotel, the main hotel in the town, Varandas da Serra and the Estação Real, a budget property with clean rooms. Casal Do Portinho is a holiday home some distance west of the town with a garden and outdoor pool.

Vila Franca de Xira Station
Vila Franca de Xira Station

Access - Getting There

Largo Marquês de Pombal, 2600, Lisboa

Other Stations in Portugal

Aregos

Baixa-Chiado

Belem Station

Parque

Sintra

Tomar

Trofa

© PortugalVisitor.com

Ponte de Lima Bridge

Ponte de Lima Bridge


Ponte de Lima Bridge, Amarante
Ponte de Lima Bridge, Amarante

History

Historically, Ponte de Lima was on the Roman road from Braga to Santiago de Compostela across the border in Spain.

The first bridge across the river was indeed Roman in origin and several arches of this bridge survive on the northern bank of the Lima.

The initial Ponte Romana (Roman Bridge) was expanded in the 14th century and its graceful 13 granite arches are now the town's main attraction. The bridge is also illuminated at night making for a beautiful and romantic sight.

The bridge is for pedestrians only while a modern bridge downstream carries the N201 across the river.

Ponte de Lima Map
Ponte de Lima Map

Hotels in Ponte de Lima

Recommended hotels in town are the 3-star, riverside Hotel Império do Norte, the modern INLIMA Hotel & Spa, and Carmo's Boutique Hotel a 5-star property a short drive east of town.

See a listing of hotels in Ponte de Lima.

Other Bridges in Portugal

Bridges in Lisbon

Guadiana International Bridge

São Gonçalo Bridge Amarante

Ponte Romana Tavira

Ponte Velha Silves

Ponte de Lima Bridge
Ponte de Lima Bridge

© PortugalVisitor.com

Forte de Nossa Senhora das Neves de Leça

Forte de Nossa Senhora das Neves de Leça, Matosinhos

The Forte de Nossa Senhora das Neves de Leça in Matosinhos, north of Porto is an impressive fortress built to protect the coast and the entrance to the Douro and Leça rivers.

Forte de Nossa Senhora das Neves de Leça
The fort guards the entrance to the Douro River and the city of Porto

History

The Castelo de Matosinhos fortress was built in the early 17th century as one of a series of defensive structures along this part of the coast. The other fortifications in the chain were Castelo do Queijo in Foz do Duoro and the Fort of São João da Foz.

The beginning of the Portuguese Restoration War (Guerra da Restauração) with Spain in 1640 increased the anxiety of the local inhabitants about attack by sea. Though not yet completed the fort was garrisoned in 1648. In typical Portuguese style, it was not until 1720, long after the Treaty of Lisbon (1668) ended the conflict with neighboring Spain that the star-shaped fortress was finally ready.

The garrison departed in the mid-19th century and the building became a customs house. The structure now stands in a largely residential area and a few cannons line its battlements.

Forte de Nossa Senhora das Neves de Leça
Forte de Nossa Senhora das Neves de Leça

Access - Getting There

The Blue Line (Line A of the Porto Metro) runs 16.5 km from Estádio do Dragão to Senhor de Matosinhos.

From Sao Bento Station the #500 bus runs to Matosinhos via Foz do Duoro.

Bus #501 goes to to Matosinhos via Trindade and Casa da Música from Aliados.

From Hosp. S. João metro station the #505 and #506 services run west to Matosinhos Mercado.

The #507 goes from Cordoaria to the Mar Shopping Center with its large IKEA store via Casa da Musica Station. The #508 from Boavista also stops at the Mar Shopping Center on route to Cabo Mundo.

© PortugalVisitor.com

Águas Livres Aqueduct Lisbon

Águas Livres Aqueduct, Campolide, Lisbon

The Águas Livres Aqueduct in Lisbon dates from the 18th century. It is one of the most impressive aqueducts in Portugal. Águas Livres was built to carry water to Lisbon from the Odivelas district and was 18 km long. The structure was part of a longer network of canals that stretched for over 50 km.

Águas Livres Aqueduct
At Campolide the arches of the aqueduct are at their tallest rising to a height of 65 meters

History

Construction began in 1731 during the reign of King João V under Italian architect Antonio Canevari. It finally brought water to the capital in 1748. After that work was continued by a number of Portuguese architects until 1799. Taxes on certain foodstuffs such as olive oil, wine and beef raised the necessary money to finance construction. Amazingly, the structure survived the 1755 Lisbon Earthquake, a testament to its architectural quality.

In places, the huge arches reach a height of 65 meters above the ground. The water fed various drinking fountains throughout Lisbon such as the Chafariz do Carmo and the Mãe d'Água reservoir.

Águas Livres Aqueduct, Campolide, Lisbon
Águas Livres Aqueduct, Lisbon

The Mãe d'Água das Amoreiras Reservoir is one of a number of structures maintained by the Museu d'Água and includes several fountains in Lisbon, the Águas Livres Aqueduct, best seen near Campolide Station, the Loreto Gallery, the Patriarcal Reservoir under the Principe Real Garden and the Barbadinhos Steam Pumping Station, not far from Santa Apolonia Station.

The aqueduct was still in use until the 1960s.

A macabre side note to the area around the aqueduct are the murders committed by the serial killer Diogo Alves (1810-1841). Alves became known as the "Aqueduct Murderer" as his victims were mainly killed close to the structure. Some of them were even thrown from its heights to make their deaths look like suicide.

Alves was eventually caught, tried and hanged. His severed head is preserved in a glass jar at the University of Lisbon's Faculty of Medicine.

Águas Livres Aqueduct, Lisbon
The aqueduct and the area around it were the scene of around 70 murders in the 19th century

Visit

The area around Campolide Station is a good place to see and photograph the aqueduct. There are also tours of the aqueduct organized from the Mãe d'Água museum.

The aqueduct as seen from the train
The aqueduct as seen from the train

The aqueduct as seen from the train
Passing under the aqueduct on the train

The Aqueduto das Águas Livres at Mãe d'Água reservoir
The Aqueduto das Águas Livres at Mãe d'Água reservoir

The Aqueduto das Águas Livres at Mãe d'Água reservoir
The impressive stone arches of the Aqueduto das Águas Livres at Mãe d'Água reservoir

© Portugal Visitor.com

São Gonçalo Bridge Amarante

São Gonçalo Bridge Amarante

São Gonçalo Bridge (Ponte de São Gonçalo) is the main attraction in Amarante, 50 km east of Porto. The granite bridge spans the River Tâmega.

View of the bridge of the River Tamega at Amarante
View of the bridge showing the Igreja de São Gonçalo, semi-circular verandas and spires

History

The present bridge dates from the late 18th century and replaced a 13th century structure that collapsed in a flood in 1763. There may have been an even earlier Roman bridge as there existed a Roman road from Amarante to Guimarães and Braga.

Religious images that once adorned the collapsed bridge were placed inside the Igreja de São Gonçalo.

The new bridge was later the scene of heroic resistance over two weeks by the townspeople in 1809 against the invading French in the Peninsular War (1807-1814).

The bridge has three arches with the largest arch in the middle. Semi-circular verandas with stone benches on the bridge are pleasant places to sit and relax. At each end of the bridge there are two pairs of Baroque spires.

Nowadays, the bridge is flanked by the Igreja de São Gonçalo and several cafes, bars and restaurants with views of the river.

São Gonçalo Bridge Amarante
São Gonçalo Bridge Amarante

Access - Getting There

Amarante has regular bus connections from the bus terminal south of the river at Avenida Primeiro de Maio to Porto (1 hour), Braga (1 hour, 20 minutes), Vila Real (1 hour, 40 minutes) and Guimaraes (50 minutes).

Amarante is no longer connected by railway but from the former train station the recent Ecopista da Linha Tâmega is a cycling/hiking track running 9 km to the former station at Chapa, along the picturesque river valley through pine and eucalyptus woods.

Other Bridges in Portugal

Bridges in Lisbon

Ponte de Lima Bridge

Ponte Romana Tavira

Ponte Velha Silves

© PortugalVisitor.com